Multi-Task or Focus? The Truth About Which Work Style Gets the Job Done

Do you feel like you are rushing through your day and not giving any one thing your full attention? I know how easily this can happen because many people use a multi task approach which leaves them feeling scattered and their projects incomplete.

Let me share what I do. First, I have a mantra that I live by, "A strong focus now creates a different future later." My team knows not to just walk into my office. If they do, I will just say, "I'm sorry. I can't talk right now, I'm focused." This might seem abrupt, but when I'm doing one thing, I need to do that one thing only.



A lot of people think it's better to multi-task. They rush around, pushing through everything. They bounce from one thing to do the next. But that doesn't work for me.

Instead, I recommend that you carve out time for specific activities. So, if it's a client attraction day, then focus on your marketing. Build a "Business Development Only" day into your schedule. Make it Friday or Wednesday, but don't see any clients that day. Don't run errands or throw in a load of laundry. Don't rush through anything. Simply focus on this one thing.

For example, with the writing of my book, I realized that I cannot write it in between client appointments. I need to stay in the energy of the book and if I've been away too long, maybe a couple of days, it could take me a couple of hours to get all the way back into it. For me, it's actually better to take a whole week or an entire weekend or even one full day and do nothing else but stay in the energy. That's what works for me.

This process of focus is what I share so you can use it to your advantage, get things done and not feel like you've rushed through everything. Stop using the multi-task approach and you can alleviate the frenzy it can cause. Carve time out for each task and be ruthless with your focus for greater success now and over the long run.

Your Client Attraction Assignment

To get more done, it's time to schedule your important tasks in your calendar. Set aside a day for business development, product development and/or client appointments. Then stick to what your calendar says. I promise you'll be pleased with the results that greater focus provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment